Lesson Plan: Linear Momentum Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the momentum of a particle moving in a straight line using the formula 𝐻 = 𝑚𝑣.
Students will be able to
- calculate the momentum of a particle given its mass and velocity using the formula ,
- calculate the momentum of a particle given the information required to calculate its mass and velocity (this includes using the equations of motion to calculate unknown values),
- calculate change in momentum given an initial and final velocity,
- calculate the change in momentum for a particle between two times given its acceleration and mass.
Students should already be familiar with
- the equations of motion (SUVAT equations),
- differentiation and integration to relate displacement, velocity, and acceleration.
Students will not cover
- relating impulse and change in momentum,
- conservation of momentum and collisions,
- variable mass.