Lesson Plan: Rotational Kinetic Energy Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the rotational kinetic energy of a rotating object from its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.
Students will be able to
- use to calculate the rotational kinetic energy of an object,
- understand that is the rotational analogue of .
Students should already be familiar with
- what a moment of inertia is,
- what an angular velocity is,
- the kinetic energy from linear mechanics.
Students will not cover
- the angular momentum,
- the conservation of angular momentum,
- the conservation of energy as applied to rotational kinetic energy.