Lesson Plan: Telling Time in Words: Nearest Five Minutes Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to tell the time in words to the nearest five minutes.
Students will be able to
- read and write the time in words in 5-minute increments on an analog clock,
- read and write the time in words in 5-minute increments on a digital clock,
- explain when to use “minutes to” and “minutes past” correctly when telling the time,
- understand the position of the hour and minute hands on analog clocks.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing the time to the nearest quarter of an hour on analog clocks,
- skip counting in fives up to 60.
Students will not cover
- use of am and pm,
- 24-hour clock.