Lesson Plan: Equal Parts Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to divide shapes into equal parts, count the equal parts, and use the terms “part” and “whole.”
Students will be able to
- identify shapes that have been divided into parts of the same size,
- count the number of equal parts a whole has been divided into,
- demonstrate understanding of the terms part, whole, and equal parts,
- divide a shape or object into a given number of equal parts.
Students should already be familiar with
- the names of basic 2D shapes.
Students will not cover
- fraction terminology in words or numbers, including the terms half and quarter,
- dividing shapes into more than four parts.