Lesson Plan: Simplifying Algebraic Fractions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to factor algebraic expressions and simplify algebraic fractions.
Students will be able to
- simplify an algebraic fraction with a single term (i.e., a monomial) in the denominator,
- simplify an algebraic fraction that has been factored by canceling the common factors,
- factor an algebraic fraction and simplify it by canceling the common factors,
- find unknown constants by simplifying an algebraic fraction.
Students should already be familiar with
- factoring algebraic expressions including quadratic ones,
- identifying the common factor in an expression,
- simplifying algebraic expressions using rules of exponents.
Students will not cover
- long division of polynomials,
- factoring cubic expressions unless they have a common factor of .