Lesson Plan: Volume of a Rectangular Prism Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the volume of a rectangular prism either by using the formula that multiplies the length, width, and height or by multiplying the area of the base by the height.
Students will be able to
- find the volume of a rectangular prism using the formula volume = length width height,
- find the volume of a rectangular prism using the formula volume = base area height,
- use the volume of a rectangular prism to find one of its three dimensions,
- use the volume of a rectangular prism to find the area of the base.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the area of a rectangle,
- perpendicular and parallel lines,
- converting metric units to one another,
- multiplying fractions and decimals (whole numbers up to two-digit numbers and decimals to one decimal place).
Students will not cover
- volumes of composite shapes.