Lesson Plan: Energy Conversion and Conservation Physics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert different types of mechanical energy to and from each other and how to recognize when mechanical energy is dissipated.
Students will be able to
- understand that the formulas used to represent energy can be used in equations, where , assuming that energy is only converted between the two energy types being considered,
- understand that when an energy conversion dissipates energy, the formulas used to represent energy can be used in equations, where ± dissipated energy.
Students should already be familiar with
- the principle of the conservation of energy,
- KE = ,
- GPE = ,
Students will not cover
- conversions between nonmechanical energy categories,
- rates of energy conversion.