Lesson Plan: Rounding to the Nearest Thousand Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to round a whole number within 10,000 to the nearest thousand by identifying the thousands numbers it is between on a number line or by considering the value of the hundreds digit.
Students will be able to
- say which two multiples of one thousand a given four-digit number lies between,
- round a three- or four-digit number to the nearest thousand using a number line,
- round a three- or four-digit number to the nearest thousand by considering the value of the hundreds digit,
- say which numbers would round to a given value.
Students should already be familiar with
- the place value of four-digit numbers,
- representing four-digit numbers on number lines.
Students will not cover
- rounding numbers greater than 10,000.