Lesson Plan: Adding by Counting On: Numbers up to 10 Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add by counting on from a given number up to 10.
Students will be able to
- add two numbers up to 10 by counting forward on a number track,
- add two numbers up to 10 by counting on using objects,
- add two numbers up to 10 by counting on from the larger number,
- use counting on to solve addition word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding numbers up to 5,
- counting forward in ones from a given number up to 10,
- writing addition number sentences.
Students will not cover
- vertical addition,
- adding zero,
- adding more than two single-digit numbers,
- finding the missing addend in a number sentence.