Lesson Plan: Properties of Esters Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify and name esters and describe their physical properties.
Students will be able to
- identify the functional group and general structure of an ester,
- draw and name esters,
- describe the physical properties of esters and explain how they change with increasing ester chain length,
- describe the preparation of esters and predict the ester formed for a given reaction,
- identify examples of esters used as flavors, oils, and medical drugs,
- provide examples of where and how esters are used.
Students should already be familiar with
- carboxylic acids.
Students will not cover
- reactions of esters,
- nitrate, phosphate, or any other type of ester.