Lesson Plan: The Pituitary Gland Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the structure and the function of the pituitary gland in the human body.
Students will be able to
- describe the structure of the pituitary gland as being divided into adenohypophysis (anterior and intermediate lobes) and neurohypophysis (posterior lobes and infundibulum),
- describe the function of the pituitary gland as an endocrine gland that produces and releases hormones,
- give examples of hormones produced by the pituitary gland such as growth hormone and gonadotropic hormones,
- give examples of hormones released by the pituitary glands such as ADH and oxytocin,
- recall the effect that hormones produced or released by the pituitary gland have on the body,
- define tropic hormones as those that affect the activity of other endocrine glands.
Students should already be familiar with
- the general human endocrine system,
- hormones as chemical messengers.