Lesson Plan: The Net Change Theorem Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply the net change theorem.
Students will be able to
- understand that the integral of a rate of change gives us a net change: ,
- use the net change theorem to calculate the net change of a function between an initial value and a final value, using the rate of change of the function.
Students should already be familiar with
- the fundamental theorem of calculus,
- derivatives as rates of change,
- the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration,
Students will not cover
- integration by substitution,
- integration by parts.