Lesson Plan: Using Number Sense to Divide Decimal Numbers
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use estimation and number sense to place the decimal point when dividing decimals.
Students will be able to
- understand that dividing by a decimal less than 1 makes the number bigger,
- understand that if the divisor is less than the dividend, the quotient will be greater than 1,
- understand that if the divisor is close to the dividend, the quotient will be close to 1,
- recognize that halving the dividend will halve the quotient and doubling the dividend will double the quotient.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to and related division facts.
Students will not cover
- long division.