Lesson Plan: Comparing and Ordering Fractions: Mixed Numbers and Decimals Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare and order mixed numbers and decimals and how to compare and order fractions and decimals by expressing the fraction as a decimal first.
Students will be able to
- express proper fractions as decimals (including converting fractions into tenths or hundredths to help do this),
- compare fractions with decimals,
- express mixed numbers as decimals (including converting fractions into tenths or hundredths to help do this),
- compare mixed numbers with decimals,
- order a group of up to five proper fractions, mixed numbers, and decimals by expressing all fractions as decimals first.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding equivalent fractions,
- ordering a set of decimal numbers (using place value).
Students will not cover
- numbers with more than two decimal places.