Lesson Plan: Sign of a Function Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine the sign of a function from its equation or graph.
Students will be able to
- determine the sign of a constant function, a linear function, or a quadratic function over specified intervals both graphically and algebraically,
- determine the interval over which a function has a specified sign.
Students should already be familiar with
- graphs of constant, linear, and quadratic functions,
- intervals and domains of functions,
- the discriminant of a quadratic equation and how it can be used to determine types of roots,
- finding the roots of a quadratic equation.
Students will not cover
- cubic or higher-order functions,
- nonpolynomial functions.