Lesson Plan: Distance and Displacement Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define distance as the length of a path between two positions and define displacement as the straight line distance between two positions.
Students will be able to
- recognize that distance is not directional,
- recognize that distance can only be positive valued,
- recognize that displacement has a specific direction,
- recognize that displacement can be positive or negative valued,
- recognize that the magnitude of the displacement of a point from another is the straight-line distance between the points.
Students should already be familiar with
Students will not cover
- any rate of motion.