Lesson Plan: Using Number Facts to Subtract
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve subtraction cluster problems using known number facts up to three-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- identify a number pattern in subtraction cluster problems,
- use known number facts to solve an unknown subtraction problem.
Students should already be familiar with
- subtracting a multiple of 10 from a two-digit number,
- counting forward and backward in tens,
- subtracting two-digit numbers using compensation.
Students will not cover
- written methods of subtraction,
- numbers larger than one thousand.