Lesson Plan: Areas of Regular Polygons Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find areas of regular polygons given their side lengths using a formula.
Students will be able to
- derive and recall the formula for the area of a regular -sided polygon with side length : (note that this is equivalent to ),
- calculate areas of -sided polygons given a side length or perimeter,
- calculate side lengths and perimeters of regular polygons given their areas and number of sides,
- calculate areas of compound shapes that are formed of regular polygons and other shapes.
Students should already be familiar with
- right triangle trigonometry,
- how to calculate the areas of triangles and various quadrilaterals (trapezoids, parallelograms, etc).
Students will not cover
- areas of irregular -sided polygons.