Lesson Plan: Rocks and Minerals Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify, name, and describe igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks and explain the formation of each.
Students will be able to
- describe the difference between soil and rocks,
- classify rocks into igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks,
- describe the composition of igneous rocks and their division as either plutonic, surface, or volcanic rocks,
- give examples of igneous rocks and identify them as either plutonic, surface, or volcanic rocks,
- describe sedimentary rocks,
- give examples of sedimentary rocks and describe their color, shape, texture, and composition,
- explain the formation of sedimentary rocks including transportation, deposition, and lithification,
- describe metamorphic rocks,
- give marble as an example of a metamorphic rock and describe its color, shape, texture, and composition.
Students will not cover
- the rock cycle.