Lesson Plan: Cycles of Matter: The Oxygen-Carbon Cycle Science • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe what happens in the oxygen–carbon cycle.
Students will be able to
- define what the oxygen–carbon cycle is,
- describe the steps of the oxygen–carbon cycle,
- identify processes that release oxygen and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere,
- identify processes that take in oxygen and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
Students should already be familiar with
- states of matter,
- producers, consumers, and decomposers,
- biotic and abiotic factors,
- how matter cycles in the environment.
Students will not cover
- details of respiration,
- details of photosynthesis,
- the nitrogen cycle,
- the water cycle.