Lesson Plan: Simplifying Trigonometric Expressions Using Trigonometric Identities Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to simplify trigonometric expressions by applying trigonometric identities.
Students will be able to
- identify whether an equation represents an identity,
- recall and use the Pythagorean identities to simplify expressions,
- use combinations of trigonometric identities, including cofunction identities, shift identities, and Pythagorean identities, to simplify expressions, including reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- use the trigonometric identities to simplify rational trigonometric expressions.
Students should already be familiar with
- basic trigonometric identities including the definitions of the tangent function and reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- complementary function identities and shift identities.
Students will not cover
- the sum and difference formulas,
- the double- and half-angle formulas.