Lesson Plan: The Conservation of Mechanical Energy Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to explain the motion of a pendulum for which mechanical energy is conserved.
Students will be able to
- recognize that mechanical energy is conserved,
- describe the structure of a pendulum,
- describe the motion of a pendulum.
Students should already be familiar with
- the fact that doing work can cause a change in the potential energy and kinetic energy of an object,
- the fact that the mechanical energy of an object is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy,
- the formula (mechanical energy = kinetic energy + potential energy).
Students will not cover
- dissipation of energy,