Lesson Plan: nth Roots: Expressions and Equations Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to simplify algebraic expressions and solve algebraic equations involving 𝑛th roots, where 𝑛 is a positive integer greater than or equal to 2.
Students will be able to
- simplify algebraic expressions including roots (and powers), including
- expressions in just one variable,
- expressions in many variables,
- understand how to utilize moduli to respect the domain of root expressions, where is even,
- solve algebraic equations that require the evaluation of an root.
Students should already be familiar with
- rules of exponents,
- the concept that the root of is if is odd and and if is even.
Students will not cover
- expressing roots and powers as fractional exponents.