Students will be able to
- define different types of energy, with an emphasis on chemical, thermal, and light energy,
- understand the concept of a system and the surroundings and how the transfer of heat between them occurs during a chemical reaction,
- identify and describe the different types of systems: open, closed, and isolated,
- understand that in chemical reactions, energy is both required and released, but the overall change in energy is important,
- understand that the plimsoll notation refers to standard conditions and define what these conditions are,
- Identify that the overall change in energy during a reaction is known as the enthalpy change and has the symbol .