Students will be able to
- recall that, for two bodies, the gravitational force between them, , is calculated using the formula , where is the gravitational constant, and are their respective masses, and is the distance between their centers of mass,
- recall the definition of the universal gravitational constant,
- calculate the gravitational force for two bodies given their masses and the distance between their centers of mass,
- calculate the mass of Earth given its radius and vice versa (assuming that the gravitational force of Earth is equal to 9.8 N),
- use the universal law of gravitation to determine the acceleration due to gravity on Earth,
- use the relation to compare the accelerations due to gravity on the surfaces of two bodies,
- solve problems for particles moving away from or toward Earth’s surface using the law of universal gravitation.