Students will be able to
- describe the structure of the pituitary gland as being divided into adenohypophysis (anterior and intermediate lobes) and neurohypophysis (posterior lobes and infundibulum),
- describe the function of the pituitary gland as an endocrine gland that produces and releases hormones,
- give examples of hormones produced by the pituitary gland such as growth hormone and gonadotropic hormones,
- give examples of hormones released by the pituitary glands such as ADH and oxytocin,
- recall the effect that hormones produced or released by the pituitary gland have on the body,
- define tropic hormones as those that affect the activity of other endocrine glands.