Students will be able to
- locate different periods, groups, and blocks within the periodic table to become familiar with the structure and purpose of the periodic table,
- list common names for groups of elements in order to find the group and location of specific elements,
- describe the areas of the periodic table where metals, nonmetals, and metalloids can be found,
- link the location of the element to the number of valency electrons and atomic number in order to explain why elements in the same group have similar properties.
Students should already be familiar with
- the atomic model and the existence of subatomic particles.