Students will be able to
- understand that the derivative is a function which describes the instantaneous rate of change of the function ,
- use differentiation to find in the context of finding the rate of change of ,
- evaluate the rate of change of at the point where by using differentiation and evaluating .
Students should already be familiar with
- the definition of the derivative,
- rules of differentiation (power, product, and quotient chain),
- differentiation of real functions.
Students will not cover
- using the limit definition of the derivative,
- related rates problems.