Students will be able to
- understand the normal distribution and which conditions are needed to be able to apply it,
- understand and use the shape and symmetry of the normal distribution as well as key facts relating to the mean and standard deviation in order to calculate probabilities,
- calculate probabilities using the normal distribution given the mean and standard deviation of a data set,
- use normal distribution tables to find probabilities that correspond to a specific -scores,
- calculate values of random variables using the normal distribution, given probabilities and parameters of a data set,
- calculate the unknown mean and/or standard deviation of a data set given probabilities of random variables that are normally distributed.
Students should already be familiar with
- continuous random variables,
- mean and standard deviation ,
- basic probability rules,
- simultaneous equations.
Students will not cover
- real-life situations involving the normal distribution,
- proof of the normal distribution,
- hypothesis testing related to the normal distribution.