Students will be able to
- define and explain vapor pressure,
- describe and explain the effect vapor pressure has on the melting and boiling points of a substance,
- describe and explain how the addition of salts to pure liquids affects the vapor pressure and hence the melting and boiling points,
- identify the relative volatility of a liquid from its vapor pressure,
- outline experimental procedures to measure the vapor pressure of a liquid,
- use experimental data and diagrams to predict the relative temperature or volatility of a liquid,
- calculate the boiling point elevation and freezing point depression when a salt is dissolved in a solvent.