Students will be able to
- identify the functional groups of alcohols and classify them as primary, secondary, or tertiary,
- name alcohols using IUPAC convention, including examples of diols and triols,
- describe the general preparation of alcohols from the reaction of alkyl halides with strong alkalis,
- describe the general properties of alcohols and how they compare with alkanes,
- describe the preparation of ethanol from the fermentation or catalytic hydration of ethene,
- provide examples of the importance and uses of alcohols, with emphasis on ethanol and methanol.