Students will be able to
- identify whether an equation represents an identity,
- recall and use the Pythagorean identities to simplify expressions,
- use combinations of trigonometric identities, including cofunction identities, shift identities, and Pythagorean identities, to simplify expressions, including reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- use the trigonometric identities to simplify rational trigonometric expressions.
Students should already be familiar with
- basic trigonometric identities including the definitions of the tangent function and reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- complementary function identities and shift identities.
Students will not cover
- the sum and difference formulas,
- the double- and half-angle formulas.