Students will be able to
- outline the structure of a triglyceride and phospholipids,
- describe the synthesis and breakdown of triglycerides,
- compare the structure of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids,
- describe the properties of triglyceride, phospholipid, and cholesterol molecules and relate them to their functions in organisms,
- recall that lipids can be classified into simple, complex, and derived lipids.
Students should already be familiar with
- fats as an essential component of the human diet.
Students will not cover
- testing for lipids using the emulsion test or Sudan IV.