Students will be able to
- apply Newton’s second law to solve problems involving a system of bodies and a smooth pulley,
- calculate unknowns including acceleration and string tension,
- calculate the force exerted on a pulley,
- solve multistep problems including those where the string snaps.
Students should already be familiar with
- Newton’s second law of motion and the formula ,
- calculating resultant forces,
- the equations of motion.
Students will not cover
- problems involving pulleys and inclined planes.