Students will be able to
- recall the octet rule and its relation to the valency of an atom,
- describe how covalent bonding involves the sharing of electrons between atoms,
- describe how the electrostatic attractions between nuclei and the pair of electrons give rise to covalent bonding,
- draw Lewis structures to show covalent bonds between atoms,
- explain how the sharing of more than one pair of electrons can result in double and triple bonds,
- draw Lewis structures for simple covalent structures such as water, methane, ammonia, and carbon dioxide,
- describe the physical properties of covalent structures and how they differ from ionic compounds.