Students will be able to
- outline the general structure of an amino acid,
- describe the synthesis and breakdown of polypeptides by condensation and hydrolysis reactions,
- recall that peptide bonds form between amino acids,
- describe the primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary structure of proteins, identifying the key interactions of the secondary and tertiary structures,
- recall that proteins can be classified based on their function, shape, or chemical composition,
- categorize proteins into globular, conjugated, and fibrous, based on their structures, or into simple and conjugated, based on their chemical composition,
- recall that proteins have a wide range of functions in organisms, including forming enzymes, hormones, and structures used in support and movement.