Students will be able to
- identify the resolution of a measuring device and the precision of measurements made with it,
- identify the uncertainty of a measurement due to the resolution of the measuring instrument that made the measurement,
- identify the number of significant figures in a value,
- determine to an appropriate precision the result of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing values that have a given precision,
- convert between absolute and percentage uncertainty values,
- determine the random uncertainty of a set of values.
Students should already be familiar with
- the difference between accuracy and precision.
Students will not cover
- operation of specific measuring devices.