Students will be able to
- describe the process of translocation in terms of the movement of sucrose around the plant,
- recall that the movement of sucrose is bidirectional,
- outline the role of the components of the phloem (sieve tube elements and companion cells) in the transport of sucrose,
- describe the structure and the function of companion cells in assisting the movement of sucrose,
- describe the structure and the function of sieve tube elements in the phloem,
- analyze and discuss experiments performed to understand the transport of sugars in the phloem.