Students will be able to
- formally define an increasing and decreasing interval of a function,
- determine the increasing and/or decreasing intervals for given function using the first derivative.
Students should already be familiar with
- differentiation (including the chain, product, and quotient rules),
- finding first derivatives,
- increasing and decreasing functions,
- the concept of continuity (not necessarily the formal definition).
Students will not cover
- second derivatives,
- classifying critical points as local minima, maxima, or inflection points,
- graphical questions that do not require differentiation,
- stating whether a function is increasing or decreasing at a point.