Students will be able to
- describe a suspension and a colloidal system and explain the difference between them,
- describe and explain thixotropic mixtures,
- describe the components of a colloid (dispersion medium and dispersed particles) and give examples for different types of colloids,
- explain the stability of colloids through intermolecular interactions and describe how this stability can be disrupted,
- explain the Tyndall effect and use it to distinguish between a colloid and a solution,
- outline simple methods for preparing colloids and provide examples.