Students will be able to
- understand that the total surface area of a pyramid is the sum of its lateral surface area and the area of its base,
- calculate the lateral surface area of a pyramid,
- calculate the total surface area of a pyramid,
- calculate a missing length of a pyramid when given its lateral surface area or total surface area.
Students should already be familiar with
- the slant height and perpendicular height of a pyramid,
- the Pythagorean theorem,
- the definition of a right pyramid,
- the definition of a regular pyramid,
- interpreting nets of 3D shapes.
Students will not cover
- pyramids with bases that are not squares, rectangles, or triangles,
- oblique pyramids,
- the volume of a pyramid,