Students will be able to
- explain reduction and oxidation in terms of gain or loss of electrons,
- understand that oxidation does not have to involve oxygen,
- define redox in terms of electron transfer (OILRIG) and reduction and oxidation happening at the same time, hence red-ox,
- identify which species are oxidized and which are reduced from simple ionic and molecular equations,
- explain the concept of oxidizing and reducing agent—a substance which oxidizes another substance or reduces another substance during a redox reaction,
- identify oxidizing agents and reducing agents from simple equations,
- write overall net ionic equations for redox reactions including state symbols.
Students should already be familiar with
- ionic equations.
Students will not cover
- determining oxidation states,