Students will be able to
- use the general formula for alkenes to identify alkenes from molecular formula,
- convert between the names of alkenes and different types of chemical formulas,
- explain trends in physical properties by examining how physical properties vary with chain length,
- list uses for alkenes and explain their sources,
- draw structures for alkenes, explaining the term unsaturated and highlighting the double covalent bond,
- describe simple chemical tests for unsaturation to test for the presence of an alkene.