Students will be able to
- understand that matter takes up space and has mass,
- understand that matter can be classified as a solid, liquid, or gas,
- understand that solids have a fixed size and shape like an ice cube, that liquids change shape like water, and that gases have no size or shape like water vapor,
- classify different types of matter as a solid, liquid, or gas based on shape and space.
Students should already be familiar with
- identifying and naming a variety of everyday materials.
Students will not cover
- changes in the states of matter.