Students will be able to
- recall that the brain is located within the skull of the human body and surrounded by three membranes or meninges (dura mater, pia mater, and arachnoid),
- recall that the brain is divided into the forebrain, midbrain, and hindbrain and recall the components of these divisions,
- describe the basic structure of the brain, including the cerebrum, the cerebellum, and the hypothalamus,
- identify the lobes of the cerebrum as the frontal, temporal, parietal, and occipital lobes and recall that there is a 5th lobe,
- explain the functions of the lobes of the cerebral cortex, the hypothalamus, and the cerebellum,
- identify the gray and white matter and the dorsal and ventral roots from a cross section of the spinal cord,
- describe the functions of the different parts of the spinal cord.