Students will be able to
- state that the essential nutrients of plants can be divided into macronutrients and micronutrients, with examples of each,
- state the roles of some macronutrients and micronutrients in plants,
- describe the process of diffusion as a mechanism of mineral absorption,
- describe how membranes of plant cells are partially permeable or semipermeable to allow the transport of particular minerals,
- describe active transport as a mechanism of mineral absorption,
- describe experiments carried out on Nitella algae to demonstrate the absorption of minerals,
- suggest what may happen to plants that do not obtain enough minerals.