Students will be able to
- recall that the gonads are the ovaries for females and the testes for males and that they produce and secrete sex hormones,
- outline the male sex hormones (androgens) produced by the gonads such as testosterone and androsterone,
- describe the role of the androgens in the growth of the glands in the male reproductive system and in the development of secondary sexual characteristics,
- outline the female sex hormones produced by the gonads as estrogen, progesterone, and relaxin,
- describe the role of estrogen in the development of secondary sexual characteristics,
- describe the role of progesterone in preparing the body for pregnancy,
- describe the role of relaxin in labor and childbirth.