Students will be able to
- describe the macroscopic structure of the liver including the associated blood vessels, the hepatic vein, the hepatic artery, and the hepatic portal vein,
- describe the microscopic structure of the hepatocyte cells of the liver,
- describe the role of the liver in breaking down harmful or excess metabolic waste products,
- outline the basic process of deamination as the removal of the amino group from amino acids,
- describe the ornithine cycle as the process of converting toxic ammonia to urea for excretion.