Students will be able to
- recall that the peripheral nervous system is composed of 12 pairs of cranial nerves and 31 pairs of spinal nerves that extend through the body,
- recall that the nerves of the peripheral nervous system can be sensory and/or motor,
- define the terms stimulus and receptor,
- describe the structure of a reflex arc as stimulus receptor sensory neuron relay neuron motor neuron effector response,
- explain the functions of each part of the reflex arc,
- understand that reflex responses do not require processing in the brain before a response is provided,
- explain the benefit of the reflex arc in given situations in keeping the human body safe from harm and responding to danger.