Students will be able to
- define the term recombinant DNA as DNA that has been taken from two sources and combined,
- explain how plasmids can be used as vectors for inserting pieces of DNA into and cloning,
- describe the roles of restriction enzymes and DNA ligase in cloning pieces of DNA,
- describe how bacterial cells can be transformed and used to make multiple clones of a piece of DNA,
- suggest how reverse transcriptase can be used to obtain a sequence of DNA,
- recall that PCR can be used to amplify sections of cloned DNA.